My Life as Kathy

Wednesday, December 27, 2006


OPERATION TEDDY BEAR!

I hate Florida, mostly the weather. But, I love that people are weird wherever you go - just in some areas you have to look harder for them. My neighbor upstairs first appeared to me as just a normal middle aged, white, gay man. Nice, not overly friendly, but, not introverted or odd seemingly. But, within a matter of one week I started to notice the signs of insanity. First of all, he is up all hours of the day and night. Ok, maybe he has insomnia - not that uncommon. But, alas, no he is insane. He walks when he is up. Like Bigfoot. I call him the Stomper. Back and forth - room to room - nonstop. At first it kept me up, now I'm used to it. Okay, so weird - but, not overly. Well, then the extremely strange world music started to play during these walks. Same beat, tempo over and over again. Again all hours - but, not always with the Stomping. Then came the furniture being moved. Back and forth from the living room to the lanai, from the lanai to the kitchen. And, lastly I started to see him outside from time to time - always in head to toe scrubs (hat included, one time with the mask). Then it occurred to me what is going on. He is insane, but, in his world this all makes perfect sense. I realized that he has one beat up old Teddy Bear and he operates on it. Each time he has a delusional thought it will include this teddy bear being rolled in on a gurney missing an eye, arm, leg - what have you. He will have to act quickly and setup a make shift OR. He, like most surgeons, likes to listen to music when he operates. He has to act quickly, the pressure is on and this teddy bear's life is in jeopardy. It happens several times over the course of 24 hours. Sometimes, like right prior to the holidays, he had several emergency cases - back to back. Probably due to all the holiday parties. It's been quiet over the past two days, but, I know New Year's Eve is going to be crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home