My Life as Kathy

Friday, July 21, 2006


Choo, choo - all aboard the every poplular train to Florida!! Ahhh, remember those days. Taking the train - what - like 17 hours to Florida?

Surpringsly, I do remember every year driving in a cargo van from Missouri to Symrna. My Mom, her best friend, her son and myself. The son, Patrick, and myself would bring chicken boxes full of board games and snacks that we were not allowed to look at until the van would set out on the long journey. We would have a blow up matteress in the back of the van where Patrick and myself would spread out and play games and Star Wars (I was always Princess Lea or BoboFett - here I am "playing Boba Fett" http://www.skaines.com/fett/Media/bigbfett.jpg - JOKING! Not sure who this is, but definately not me. This is more like this Boba Fett I knew http://www.zeustoys.com/images/toys/boba-fett.jpg).

Those were the days. So much fun. Staying at some cheesy hotel/resort. Swimming in the ocean until I would throw up. Getting sunburnt. I had my first crush on a much older "man" one summer in Florida. He was 13 and quite the stud (but, hey, you saw how I was shaking with Boba above;). Bringing back souvenirs for my best friend Sandra Bunner - a comb that said "Florida" on it and a crate of tiny bubble gum oranges. Back in the day Florida was like a dreamland. Moving there would have been unheard of, equivalent of moving to say Cancun as an adult. Well, my days as a New Yorker are dwindling and I will soon be taking my chicken boxes down to Florida to live permenantly.

It's a strange concept to fully grasp. Outside today, muggy as hell, I thought - god, I can't wait for the fall. Then I remembered, I am moving to Florida. I will not have Fall anymore. (As an aside - I do love the Fall and if I ever have a proper wedding I plan to have a Fall one no matter where I'm living). I'm moving to the land of pink homes, blue hair, endless places to buy bonds at 2am and check cashing on every corner. I will never again have nice boobs. My boobs will pale in comparison with everyone else's. Everyone has amazing boobs in Florida. And, my brown hair and brown eyes will be frowned upon. It is major, this change I am willingly taking on.

For so many reasons now is the time to make this move. I have been holding to NYC like a really sexy, fun, yet pretend, boyfriend. This layover has turned into 9 years. Until recently, I never felt truly at home with these people. Never quite cool enough or perfect enough. But, then over the past 3 years I finally started to come to grips with "love them or leave them." And, I too adopted the "hey, I'm a new yorker" kinda vibe. It felt good. I knew my boyfriend was pretend, but he was sexy and fun and I didn't care. Now that my life is changing in so many ways I need a clean break. Get back to my roots. Thank god, I am NOT moving to Missouri. But, I am moving to the things that I loved most about Missouri - my family. And, I know that if they have adjusted and feel "at home" there then so will I. But, under no circumstances am I getting fake boobs - or will I? No, I won't, or will I? NO, just kidding. Hee, hee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home